The Product Information Exchange (PIE) is a standard format for the exchange of rich product content between manufacturers and distributors. Rich product content includes images and product attributes.
Having a standard common schema developed by distributors and manufacturers eliminates the need for each manufacturer to identify, map, define and interpret attribute definitions and fields with each of their distributor partners.
How it Works
The PIE Technology Platform is an online, subscription-based platform that allows manufacturers to upload their rich product content to a PIE template and control access to their authorized distributors, who in turn can map the data and download into their company-specific formats. This allows: Manufacturers 24/7/365 access to upload PIE-complaint content and notifies distributors when new content is available.
Distributors 24/7/365 access to PIE-compliant content for all manufacturer partners in a single session.
Note: more information about PTDA member company participation in this service coming soon.
A Ground-Breaking Opportunity
We are establishing working groups to set the standard for the rich content product data and attributes to be made available to authorized participating distributors through the PIE Technology Platform. Using the established PIE Product Category Template, working groups will identify the most important attributes/taxonomy to develop a template for a specific PT/MC product category. This is a prime opportunity to harness your industry knowledge and experience with others in the PT/MC arena who have a valued interest in providing tools and resources to streamline the industrial supply chain.
Currently, PTDA is seeking subject matter experts for the following product categories:
PTDA members will form Working Groups to develop and review the pertinent taxonomy/attributes for each product category. Following the PIE Product Category Template, working group members will collaborate and shape how vital information is presented to benefit both manufacturers and distributors.
Working Group responsibilities include:
* Identify the taxonomy (products included in the product category)
* Determine which of the already existing attributes in the PIE Template apply to each product
* Add any new attributes that may not yet be in the PIE Template
* Indicate which attributes apply to which products (schema)
* Identify attribute type (global, product)
* Ensure all 13 required fields are included
* Identify data type (i.e., integer, string, etc.)
* Identify attribute type as Global or SKU (product) only
* Identify if the attribute can contain multiple values
* May need to identify minimum and maximum value
* May need to identify minimum and maximum length
* Identify if attribute value is validated against a List of Values
* Identify if attribute Unit of Measure is from a defined list of Unit of Measure